Sunday, January 30, 2011

My First Ice Cream Adventure

Or should I say, my first ice cream making adventure? I have eaten a LOT of ice cream in my lifetime. I used to work at Baskin-Robbins; never got sick of ice cream. My freezer pretty much always has ice cream in it. I am a fan.

To break in the new ice cream maker, I decided on double chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. That's right, cookie dough flavored ice cream with cookie dough in it - double. (Recipe here). There were a few issues with the ingredients (ie I didn't make sure I had them all) but I made do. The ingredients weren't crazy or weird, I was just short on brown sugar (had less than 1/3 C) and had big fat chocolate chips. I used white sugar instead, which made it more vanilla than cookie dough:

And maybe I'm weird, but I'm not actually a big fan of chocolate chunks in my ice cream. I hate that it gets hard and loses flavor when it's frozen. I am an even bigger fan of chocolate than I am of ice cream, so in a fight between the two, chocolate wins. The big chips I had were going to be a problem. That didn't stop me from making cookie dough ice cream, but I didn't put any chocolate chips in the ice cream itself. I also had to semi-chop the ones I put into the dough, because seriously, have you seen the Ghiradelli chips? They're giants.

After mixing: vanilla-ish ice cream base
I was also sad to realize that the mixture I cooked up one night couldn't be made into ice cream until it had thoroughly chilled. So the next morning, I ran the ice cream maker while I was getting ready for work, stuck the mixed up ice cream in the freezer for the day, and came home to homemade ice cream. I have been eating it frequently. This may become a habit.

All mixed up, base + cookie dough ready to go in the freezer!
 In fact, I'm going to go eat some right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment