Friday, September 30, 2011

And the 6th Anniversary is for...

Last Saturday, my husband and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary. I wanted to make him something small (his "real" gift was some computer-related item), so I looked up the "traditional" anniversary gifts. Depending on who you ask, apparently, the 6th anniversary deserves sugar/candy, iron, or wood. So obviously, I decided to make him some coasters.

Well, they have cork which is like, wood-ish so I figured it worked. Also, they fit my short time frame, I had all the materials, and he needed them for his office.

Super simple: trace a circle (ie another coaster) onto cork. Cut out.


Trace circle onto felt. Cut out.


Trace circle onto something pretty, like a map from your recent trip to Paris. Cut out. (See the theme?)


Glue everything together. I used Alene's between the cork and felt, and Mod Podge for the cork and map. Although apparently something kind of gets gooey when they have condensation on them, so this might not be the best mix. I'm not saying you should make these yourself, exactly. Might be better for hot drinks, I don't know.


But there you have it!


UPDATE: It's now mid-November, and my husband has been using these. They're still getting kind of... oozy when there's condensation on them. I'm assuming it's the Mod Podge, although I was hoping it just needed to cure a little more. At this point, they're good for hot drinks but not necessarily cold. I'm thinking maybe I can just somehow seal the top. I just noticed that the Mod Podge bottle mentions some sort of Clear Acrylic Sealer, or my husband mentioned maybe just putting contact paper over the top. If I change something up and get good results, I'll post another update!

2 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I'd love to try something similar. Is mod podge difficult to use at all, or does it have fumes much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's not difficult to use - it has a distinctive smell but it's not awful. I didn't even open a window or anything, although if you're sensitive to it that would probably be a good idea. The nice thing is that it's non-toxic, and the smell doesn't linger like paint fumes or anything. I did just add an update on how they're working out, though!

    ReplyDelete